Sunday, May 07, 2006

A Bit of Malay Culture. A Bit of What I Do.

It was oversight on my part to assume that everyone indulges in a spa experience now and then, so when a visitor, Catch, posts on my previous blog: "What exactly does a spa therapist do?", I realise it's a necessary step for me to talk about my work. In some detail, at least.

Well, one might have seen pictures of exotic getaways with a masseur giving a sensual back rub in the middle of a tropical rainforest, or a balcony overlooking swaying palm trees with the accompaniment of ocean waves. One might have witnessed photographs in travel brochures or clips on TV programmes of papaya milk being poured on one's skin, or a tired body soaking in a hot tub with rose petals.

I, for one, have been pampered under such luxurious resort settings in Indonesia and Malaysia. These are, undoubtedly, Asian delights.

Different massages vary with different cultures - traditional Chinese massage ("Tie Da", "Tui Na") is typically used to treat sprains, fractures and muscle aches (almost akin to the modern chiropractor) and the common practice of poking needles into the meridians to promote efficient blood flow ; ancient Thai massage ("Nuad Phaen Boran") is characterised by yogic stretches to align the energies of the body; Zen Shiatsu uses finger pressure to unify the spiritual and physiological aspects of the body (akin to the Chinese acupressure).

Similarly, the traditional Malay or Javanese massage ("Urut" or "Pijat") uses firm hand pressure to promote an overall wellbeing to a tired and sickened body, with the prescription of herbs and roots ("jamu") as medicines.

What I've learnt as a massuer of the Malay massage is not only the technique, but also the very tradition and culture that separates this massage from other massages. When I was in Langkawi last year, I was told again by an elderly masseur that the "pijat" is a dying tradition as it has not been passed down to the younger generations. Perhaps the Westernised world has taken over in terms of commercial interests with Swedish massages, and other modern bodywork treatments.

In practice, "urut" or "pijat" is gender-based. Only a male masseur can touch and massage another man to protect the dignity of the persons involved and integrity to the tradition.

Only a female masseur can touch and massage another woman. The latter is a more popular option because of its famous post-natal massage to aid in slimming. This also accounts for the beautiful, slender figures of many married women in their tight, translucent clothing ("kebaya").

Think of the flight stewardesses aka Singapore Girls and you will understand why this piece of clothing is innocently sexy and deliciously flattering. No wonder Singapore Airlines is a 'great way to fly'.

Okay. Enough promotions - I ain't getting any commissions. Haha.

There are so many more things I can mention about the Malay culture, but I guess I will bring it up in other blog entries. Back to the question - What exactly do I do as a spa therapist?

I will talk about my typical outcall service because an outcall is different; I go to the client's place and set up my spa there. Yes, right at the comfort of his home.

Depending on the package required, I might do a lulur paste to exfoliate dead skin cells over the entire body. It is not as rough as sand, but it does feel a tad grainy once in a while during the exfoliation process. This is then followed by a shower or bath ("mandi").

After feeling refreshed from the hot shower, the "urut" or "pijat" begins.

I would say that I help to alleviate physical tensions and pains.
I smoothen out the stresses of a weary body.
I promote a more efficient circulation and bloodflow to all the bodily organs.

I think I should talk about the traditional manhood therapy or male potency treatment ("urut batin") in another blog. This is one of the biggest differences to all the different massages in the market because sexual health and maintenance is a very necessary part of the Malay culture. If you don't believe me, take a look at the number of offspring in a typical Malay household. It is perhaps only with the rising living costs in Singapore that more families are less productive in the department of reproduction - which is such a shame.

By the way, I am proud to say that I provide excellent services true to the slogan of the company I had worked at - "Your Pleasure. Our Promise" because the spa is indeed a sanctuary of life, offering a sensual yet spiritual connection to mind, body and soul. I believed in it, and I still do - simply because I helped my then boss to carve a slogan and the company philosophies.

No comments: